Dental Sealants in West Village NYC
West Village Dental Studio provides dental sealants in West Village NYC. Dental sealants are noninvasive, preventative tooth decay treatments. Sealants are made up of a resin material which covers the occlusal (chewing surfaces). The sealant is typically applied to the back teeth (molars and premolars) to prevent tooth decay. The sealant bonds to the tooth and travels into the crevices where plaque and food often get trapped causing cavities.
A major benefit about a sealant is they are quick and painless, no anesthesia required. In minimal easy steps, they are completed. Application is as follows:
- Each tooth to be sealed is cleaned, dried & surrounded by an absorbent material to keep them dry.
- To help the sealant bond to the teeth an acid solution is put on the occlusal (chewing surfaces) of the teeth.
- The teeth are then rinsed and dried again.
- A sealant is then painted on. The sealant will bond to the tooth and harden.
- *Depending on the sealant sometimes a curing light will be used to set the sealant.
Who are Candidates for Sealants?
Dental sealants on children’s teeth are strongly suggested in one part due to the vital role baby teeth play in spacing for permanent teeth. Another reason is due to the “cavity prone” years. A bacteria called lactobacillus acidophilus likes to reside in the grooves of these molars and can cause proliferating tooth decay. If tooth decay is able to work itself in at this time, more money and permanent dental issues can arise. As children are still learning proper oral care this time, this is another preventative step for parents to take.
Adult patients who have been prone to tooth decay are good candidates for sealants. Sealing the vulnerable areas of the teeth allows us to prevent future cavities.